Classic Tomato Soup
Today, we have been promised yet another snow storm, and I am down to my very last can of garden tomatoes (insert wailing emoji here.) So, it is the perfect kind of day to make grilled cheese and tomato soup.
This tomato soup is creamy and simple, and tastes incredible when using your own canned tomatoes, letting the fresh flavor of the tomatoes come through. We enjoy eating this soup with sourdough grilled cheese, or with a handful of popcorn sprinkled on top.
Classic Tomato Soup Recipe
20-30 minute prep and cook time
1 (28 oz.) can whole or diced tomatoes, home-canned are best
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. flour
1 C. milk (I normally used 2%)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large soup pot, sauté celery and onions in 1-2 Tbs. olive oil or butter, until just tender,
2. Add tomatoes to the pot. If using whole, squish each tomato with your hands as you add them to the pot. Salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer while you make the roux.
3. In another small pot, melt 2 Tbs. butter over medium heat.
4. Add flour and cook for 3-4 minutes until bubbly, and lightly toasted.
5. Whisk in the milk, stirring frequently until thickened. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
6. Remove the tomato mixture from the heat. Using an emersion blender or in batches in a regular blender, blend until smooth.
7. Combine roux into the tomato mixture and cook on med-low for 5-8 more minutes to combine flavors.
Serve immediately with sourdough grilled cheese, or a handful of popcorn. Enjoy!